Saturday, August 21, 2010

Well here I am...

So I decided to make a blog, heck everyone is doing it right? I figured I would do a sailing blog as it is something that I have l grown to enjoy quite a lot. I figured I could relay my adventures on the great expanse of Lake Minnetonka, dodging power boats and other "stuff". Sure that will be exciting!! And also any additional adventures to larger bodies of water. Such as my upcoming trip to the Apostle Islands on Lake Superior.

My experience level is that I started sailing in September of 2009. Sailing had always been one of those things I had wanted to do every since I saw sailboats up close at the "Great Midwest Sports Show" way back when I was about 13 or 14. Long time ago, that's all ya need know.... Anyway, I had no idea how to get started back then and seeing as my family were not "boat people" there was no real oportunity there.

Fast forward about 30 or so years and after marriage, kids, divorce..... you know, the usual life stuff. It hit me one day to just go do it. So I hopped on the Interwebs and with that trusty Google thingy I found me a sailing school on Lake Minnetonka and took my ASA 101, Basic Keelboat class. I was hooked from the start, loved every minute of it. So after getting that certification I moved on to ASA 105, Coastal Navigation. I figured I might as well know where I am going so I don't run in to anything or end up where I don't want to be. Though, depending on where you end up, that could be OK.....

So now this season as a member of the boat club, I get to sail their boats! No insurance or slip fees or other ownership worries. I sail primarily a 26' Pearson sloop on Lake Minnetonka. My kids even seem to enjoy it.... So we sailed almost weekly this season. The season is winding down and with school and HS sports starting up, sailing in the evenings is pretty much out but, we still have the weekends.

This has been an amazing experience for me to do. Nothing quite like turning the motor off, with the sails up, and gliding through the water. A nice 8-10kt breeze moving you along. Its hard to describe what sailing does for me but, I am so relaxed on the water. Even when we have to come in and drive home, I feel so much better. I refer to it as Pacis Mens, latin for Peace of Mind... And I guess that is what sailing does for me, gives me peace of mind...

1 comment: